Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Searching

Any reporter knows that the whole notion of developing story ideas can be either the bane of one's professional existence or a part of the story-telling process that can ensure your work's success. 

Strong leads can turn into great enterprising stories.  A lack thereof is sure to spell failure--particularly in a market that isn't readily ripe with hard news.  So, while I am waiting to get assigned my shifts at KOMU, I've decided to devote this entry to debatably the most important part of a reporter's job:  finding captivating stories. 

Through my work as a print journalist and the time I've spent cultivating TV news stories, I've come to realize that coming up with story ideas shouldn't be underestimated.  I've also found that it takes a sizable amount of elbow grease to develop good story ideas.  In other words, they don't just appear.  

Many times, I've found the best story ideas come from the people who may never be elected to a public office or, for that matter, darken the doors of a city hall. They're society's hard workers who often never get the accolade they deserve. Case in point: I work part-time at a local community college. There, I've gotten to know a number of its students.  Many are non-traditional in nature. They're smart, humble and have incredible stories. 

While talking with one woman in her 40's, she told me about how she was recently reunited with a son who she placed for adoption more than a quarter of a century ago. The now-28-year-old found his biological mother on Craigslist. 

It was a moving story.  And after a bit of convincing, that student's untold story turned into a package that hopefully did their story justice.  It happened by getting out in the community, building a rapport with your viewers and shutting up and listening. 

However agonizing, I believe building the gathering of story ideas into one's work schedule is paramount to success. 





No comments:

Post a Comment