Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Junkies and some take-away journalistic principles

Earlier today, I stumbled across this MediaStorm slideshow, which chronicles the lives of some 20-something drug addicts in New York City.  And I think it may have just changed my life.  
More about that little revelation  in a minute. 

Considering the perpetual rat race in which I daily participate, I see, hear and read a lot of stuff. On any given day, I visit a litany of news Web sites, read two daily newspapers and watch way too much local and network TV news. And, when all else fails, my Blackberry keeps me leashed to the world. 

So when something (for that matter anything)--much less a piece of journalism--has the power to prompt me to boast of a life-changing experience on this blog, one should know it's serious. Jessica Dimmock's multi-media project, which primarily uses still photos to tell the story, is gut-wrenching. It's raw. It's emotional. It makes one think about an issue that has societal implications. 

It basically does everything a piece of journalism should do. And while it is presented largely through still photography, the journalistic principles of what make this great are universal. They are principles I strive to incorporate in my work--while admittedly often falling short. 

Here's the take-away
1. Get to the core:  So often, journalists would rather substitute doing some real work to get to know real people with, say, a sound bite from an "expert." It takes work, particularly in a deadline-driven profession like TV news. But if truth is our goal, shouldn't getting to the core be an obligation? 

2. Go where your sources commune: Part of the beauty of this piece is it's ability to document real life.  Staging life is apparent to viewers. 

3. Don't be afraid.  It's a journalist's job to get up close--even when it is uncomfortable.  We owe it to our viewers. 

4. Dream big.  Sure, chances that a general-assignment reporter will have the opportunity to spend two years working on a story like The Ninth Floor are slim.  Still, if you don't have lofty goals, you'll never know what is within your reach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment