Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Initiation not just communication

Producers. 

Their title pretty much sums up their role in the newsroom. In the simplest of terms, they put together the many pieces of the news-gathering process in an attempt to "produce" a seamless show. 

Their relationship with reporters is but a fraction of their overall job function.  And that's why, from this reporter's perspective, it is so necessary to continually initiate communication about your story's progress.  

Case in point: I recently was sent to cover a Jefferson City parks and recreation meeting because of a rather ambiguous agenda line item about a discussion of a sales tax. The mention of the tax spurred my news director's curiosity; however, from the onset, we had no idea whether or not anything discussed at the meeting would be newsworthy.  

Fast-forward two hours: I returned to the newsroom from the meeting to some visibly irritated producers because they did not have my cell phone number. To my defense, I had written my contact information in the appropriate place in the newsroom. And while for whatever reason they were unable to find it, the whole situation could have been avoided if I simply called the newsroom immediately following the meeting.  

Its about initiation, not just communication. If nothing else, I've taken away from my first few shifts at the station the need to start dialogue with your producers--even if they don't seem overly eager to hear about the latest developments of some relatively minor VOSOT. And while my approach admittedly borders on annoying, at least I know I am not screwing up a producer's show because of a lack of communication.  Frankly, I'd rather be viewed as annoying than incompetent.

In the long run, taking the initiative to call back to the station early and often will, perhaps most importantly, ensure you have a voice in the story's evolution. 

On a more practical level, it means you're more likely to have a healthy--and less frustrating--relationship with your station's producers, which I am learning is never a bad thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment