Thursday, April 29, 2010

getting good video

As a former print reporter, I was concerned with finding a story that was interesting, substantive and, perhaps most importantly, mattered to my readers.  

So, it may come as a surprise that the idea of doing all of that and getting interesting video to help illustrate the story has emerged as one of biggest challenges I have faced so far as a multi-media journalist. 

Here's an example: This past week I was assigned to cover a story about a spike in sexually-transmitted diseases among the 10 to 14 year olds who live in Mid-Missouri.  It was a newsworthy story, to say the least.  The problem? My video was limited to the inside of a STD prevention organization.  Frankly, it was boring.  

I understand that not every story lends itself to good video.  And, for that matter, some stories that don't have good video are still so newsworthy that they should air--despite mundane photography.   

The teen STD story aired.  Frankly, the video was less than exciting.  In hindsight, a couple of things could have strengthened the story. 

First, pre-plan, pre-plan, pre-plan.  While I was fortunate to score an interview with the executive director of Mid-Missouri's leading STD resource organization, more pre-planning could have provided interviews with public school sex education liaisons and, just maybe, someone who has been affected by STDS.   

Second, keep your eyes open when you're in the field. When I was at the STD prevention organization, I didn't begin searching for good video until my interviews were completed. That potentially could have allowed me to miss opportunities to capture exciting video.  

No comments:

Post a Comment