Thursday, April 15, 2010

1 minute

It's the amount of time I, as a TV reporter, most likely will have to explain an issue that may be very complex.  Welcome to TV. 

I've heard from veterans in the industry that writing concisely can be one of the most challenging issues a new TV reporter will face.  During a recent reporting shift at KOMU, I found that piece of advice to be all to true.  I was assigned to cover a story that essentially localized a national study that found troubling trends when it came to foster children who age out of the system.  There were a lot of components to the story, and, to my surprise, several sources who were willing to talk about the issue. 

My trouble: deciphering the broad issue at hand, and understanding how to make KOMU's viewers care--in 1 minute. 

Based on the vast majority of readings for the broadcast class I am taking, I decided to "aim for the heart," a phrase coined by Al Tompkins.  I used the stories of Mid-Missourians who have aged out of the foster care system in an attempt to make the story relatable.  I had three remarkable people who were willing to talk; however, in hindsight, I think I would have emphasized only one.  After all, I am learning the old adage "its about quality not quantity," certainly pertains to this industry.  

Instead, I tried to explain the issue, pull off a descent stand-up, make a graphic  and tell three stories--in 1 minute.  

While the end result may have been acceptable, I am certain it could have been more relatable if I had developed a bonifide "central compelling character,"  further exposing one of my source's struggles with aging out of the system. 

Hopefully, I'll do that next time--in 1 minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment