Monday, February 1, 2010

Sniffing out the story--bloodhound style

A few weeks ago, I noticed some surveyors asking patrons of the Daniel Boone Regional Library to sign a petition aimed at strengthening regulations for dog breeders in Missouri. Turns out, the Show-Me State is widely regarded as "Puppy Mill Capitol" of the country, at least in the eyes of animal advocates. And for good reason. Check this out.

Still, several groups, like the Missouri Federation of Animal Owners staunchly oppose the idea of placing more regulations on breeders who depend on these animals for their livelihood. This seemed like an interesting story, so I began reaching out to some interested parties.

Note to other budding reporters: Suck it up and pick up the phone. Turns out, e-mail is the easiest way for sources to avoid annoying journalists. So, after e-mailing nearly every breeder I could find in Mid-Missouri (and there are lots), I did the unthinkable and picked up the phone.

A few days later, I was sitting in the living room of a hobby breeder, along with his nine blood hounds.

My source opposes the petition for a lot of reasons. While that helps with the crux of this story, his story in itself was fascinating. He treats his dogs like babies. During the winter, the dogs stay inside the house. Some even sleep in his bed. They eat a complicated regimen of organic food, including a bit of tuna. He even personally feeds his eldest dog, who recently retired from the breeding business. Suffice it to say, if I can't make his story, which I've barely touched on here, compelling to viewers, I might as well hang up the hat.

There were still some challenges: For one, dogs aren't as easy to shoot as one might think. They rarely cooperate. They are loud, particularly when you get nine in a house. They certainly were not amiable to letting this photographer get needed sequences. The up-side: They are cute beyond measure.

I've also interviewed a spokesperson for the Central Missouri Humane Society, one of the groups championing the initiative. The interview was informative, although upon arriving at the organization I realized I forgot a tripod. Awesome. Luckily, I was a bit early, which never happens, so I ran back to the lab to get one. So, yet another lesson learned: Be cognizant about what you're doing. Make sure you have all equipment, and that it is functional.

I'd like to get some B-roll this week of some people signing the petition to round out the story. I think I am becoming the classic "over-shooter." I know it is a weakness I eventually need to confront. This week, though, I'll focus on making sure I have all my equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment